REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MINOR
Students complete 16 units in the journalism minor.
Completion of this minor prepares students for careers as reporters, writers, editors, producers, publishers, broadcasters, photographers, page and web designers, public relations and advertising professionals, and media scholars and researchers.
Minor core classes (6 units):
- JMC 105 Introduction to Mass Communication (3)
- JMC 120 Beginning Reporting (3)
Plus one of the following courses (3 units):
- JMC 305 International Mass Communication (3)
- JMC 306 Mass Communication History (3)
- JMC 318 Media Research (3)
- JMC 328 Media Law (3)
- JMC 332 Media Ethics (3)
Plus seven units of approved courses in the journalism major.
- We recommend you take a few of our skills courses such as Photojournalism, Digital Design, Video Production, Radio Production, Osprey Magazine Production or one of our newspapers that allow you to create media content and build a portfolio of work for job interviews.